This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
Smartling offers six roles in the platform with different permissions:
- Account Owner: The role with the highest level of permissions, typically manages the translation process from capture to delivery, including all account and project setting administration, as well as all users across all projects under the account.
- Project Manager: Manages the translation process from capture to delivery within a particular project, including settings and users. The PM needs to be given access to specific projects to be able to see and modify anything in that project. Account Owners can add Project Managers. Project Managers can add additional Project Managers to the projects they have access to.
- Agency Account Owner: An Agency Account Owner manages content and resources they are given access to.
- Translation Resource Manager (TRM): Assigns translation resources to workflow steps and languages to which they themselves have access. A Translation Resource Manager may be part of the client's project team or a translation agency. Agency Translation Resource Managers can only manage translation resources from their agency. Both can also perform work themselves.
- Translation Resource (TR): Translates, edits, or reviews content. Only has visibility into workflow steps and languages they have been given access to. When revising content, it will be categorized as either "Edit" work or "Review" work depending on how the workflow step is configured. Workflow configuration also determines if content may be available to all resources without assignment, require assignment to specific resources, or be available for claiming (self-assignment) by resources.
- Requester: Can upload files and request translations in any of the languages available in the project that they have been given access to. Monitors jobs after they have been authorized, using a limited view of the Smartling dashboard. To add Requesters, the Requester Portal feature must be enabled for your account. Contact your Smartling Customer Success Manager or Account Manager for more information.
The grid below defines the default permissions of each user role. Some permissions can be configured. Read ahead to learn more about Configurable permissions.
|Account Owner||Project Manager||Requester||Agency Owner||TRM||TR|
|Clone a project||x||x|
|Archive a project||x||x|
|Rename a project||x||x|
|Create a project||x|
|Watch a project||x||x|
|Add a language||x||x|
|Disable a language||x||x|
|Add file instructions||x||x||x|
|Upload image context||x||x|
|Create a Job||x||x||x|
|Edit Job due dates||x||x||x||x|
|Edit workflow task due dates||x||x||x|
|Download job activity report||x||x|
|Close a job||x||x|
|Cost estimate for a job||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Download job files||x||x|
|Download job estimates||x||x||x||x|
|Manage style guide||x||x|
|Manage translation memory and leverage||x||x|
|Manage quality checks||x||x|
|Add glossary terms||x||x||x||x||x|
|Manage linguistic packages||x||x|
|Remove users||x||x, but only PM, TR or TRM users||x, but only TR and TRM users|
|Manage workflow assignments for agency||x||x|
|Create API token||x||x|
|Remove content from a job||x||x|
|Move content between workflows||x||x|
|View content history||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Comment on issues||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Submit content to next step||x||x||x||x||x|
|Search and filter content||x||x||x, only per job||x||x||x|
|Create job automation rules||x||x|
|Edit default workflow||x||x|
|Manage Google API key||x||x|
|Issue Notifications||x||x|| x
|Words under Management||x||x|
|Translation Memory leverage||x||x|
Account Owners and Project Managers can configure access to Linguistic Assets for Agency Account Owners (AAO), Translation Resource Managers (TRM), and Translation Resources (TR) from the Permissions tab in the User's Detail page.
If you are working with a Language Service Provider/Vendor, it is recommended that you grant your Agency Account Owners access to an added permission, and then have them grant the same access to their Translation Resources.
There are four types of Linguistic Asset permissions:
- Glossary: For the management of glossaries and glossary content.
- Style Guide: For the management of Style Guides.
- Leverage: For the management of leverage configurations.
- Translation Memory: For the management of Translation Memories and content in a TM.
Skip ahead to learn more about permission details.
To add a permission:
- Go to Account Settings > Team.
- Click a user tile.
- Click the Permissions tab.
- Click Add Permission.
- From the dialog, choose a permission type from the list.
- Choose the assets the user should have added permissions to.
- Choose permissions from the Available Permissions section to grant to a user by using the check boxes.
- Click Add.
The permission will be added to the User's Permission page.
To delete a permission:
- Go to Account Settings > Team.
- Click a user tile.
- Click the Permissions Tab.
- On the Permissions page, select the check box next to the permission you wish to remove. Use the check box at the top left of the table to select all permissions.
- Click Remove Permission.
The permission(s) will be removed from the user's profile.
- Create and Edit Terms: Add/Edit/Remove terms in a glossary.
- Export Glossary: Export a glossary to file.
- Update existing Glossary from file: Import a file to update an existing glossary
Style Guide Permissions
- Edit Style Guide content: Edit the contents of a Style Guide
- Edit Leverage: Edit all the details of a leverage configuration.
- Edit Leverage source: Edit the details of each leverage entry, but cannot add/remove actual leverage entries.
Translation Memory Permissions
- Export a Translation Memory: Export a TM to a file
- Edit translations: Edit the content of a TM
- Browse a Translation Memory: See the content of a TM.
- Import translations: Import a TMX file into an existing TM.
- Delete strings: Delete content from a TM.
- Move strings: Move content to a new TM (if the user has access to another TM).