Word Count Report
Word count refers simply to the number of words that are transitioning between workflow steps. For example, a string of 10 words gets authorized for a 3-step workflow (translation, edit, review). Once the Translator provides the translation and submits them, they receive 10 words of Translation Credit. Once the Editor reviews the strings, and submits them, they receive 10 words of Translation Credit. The same applies for the Reviewer.
The Word Count Report shows a breakdown of completed work during a specified period of time. The report can only be generated for up to a 1-year date range. If you would like it for a greater period of time, consider generating multiple 1-year reports and combine them offline, or contact your Smartling Customer Success Manager.
The Word Count report contains a column for Weighted Words, which are calculated by multiplying each word with the corresponding fuzzy match rate. To learn more about weighted words, see Localization Terminology.
Access the Word Count Report
The Word Count Report is accessible to all user roles (Account Owners, Project Managers, Agency Account Owners, Translation Resource Managers, Translators, Editors, and Reviewers). The column headers that you will see when accessing the Word Count Report will be based on your Smartling user role.
- Log in to Smartling and select Reports > Word Count from the top navigation.
- Before running the report, you can filter by:
- Start/End Dates
- Use the Include options to add or remove fields from the report, such as:
- Translation Resource
- Job Name
- Fuzzy Match Profile (includes repetitions, if any)
- Click Run Report (or download a CSV file).
To view a report for a specific job, see the Translation Activity Report.
In Word Count reports, repetitions are only counted when they are part of the content available to a user at translation time and when they are translated by the same user as part of the same job, workflow step, and language.
- Account Owner / Project Manager: You may want to view historical translations from an account to analyze outside of Smartling to help inform a business decision.
- Agency Account Owner / Translation Resource Manager: You may want to review work that has been completed in previous months for invoicing purposes.
- Translator / Editor / Reviewer: You may want to view work that was completed during a specific time.
For more information on this topic, ready Word Counts and Estimates Explained.