Ask a Question
This article is for Account Owners, Project Managers, Translators, Editors, and Reviewers.
The Issues feature allow platform users to communicate about original source content or translations directly in the Smartling platform. Ensure your Global Notification Preferences are enabled to receive Issue notifications.
Ask a Question
- From within the CAT tool, click on the relevant string.
- Click Open New Issue in the Issue panel on the right side of the CAT tool.
- Select Source/Translation to indicate where the issue appears.
- Choose the Issue Subtype from the dropdown.
- Describe your issue or question in the text box.
- Click Open this issue to open your issue or Cancel to exit.
Markdown format links are supported in Issue text. Place link text in square brackets followed immediately by the URL in parenthesis [Link Text](http:/www.link-url.com)
For questions/comments in relation to the source copy, you can open a source issue under the following subtypes;
- Question/Clarification: Question about the source content (e.g. what is a "Smart Inbox").
- Typo/Misspelling: Mistake in the source content (i.e. were vs. where).
For questions/comments in relation to the translated copy, you can open a translation issue under the following subtypes;
- Review Translation: Translation requires revision.
- Doesn't Fit Space: The translation does not fit the space allotted in the asset design. You can then apply a character limit to the string for further guidance.
- Placeholder Issue: Placeholder balancing or ordering is incorrect.
- Poor Translation: Translation does not meet tone, brand, or quality guidelines.
Subtypes can be customized for the account. Your Account Owner or Project Manager can contact a Smartling Customer Success Manager to request custom subtypes. They are specific to either source or translation type.
To highlight the priority of the issue, you can select a severity level from the dropdown from High, Medium or Low. The default severity will always be Medium and can be modified at any time, even for "closed" issues. This field is optional.
Any email address can be added as a watcher to receive notifications about an issue being opened, commented on, or closed. This field is optional.
Reply to a Comment
To ensure you will receive email notification in relation to issues, ensure notifications are enabled. You will then receive an email when an issue is opened or commented on. Click the link in the email to go directly to the open issue where you can add a comment and/or close the issue if your question is answered. Alternatively, you can reply to the issue via email.
To view and respond to an issue:
- Go to Content > Translations. The number of open issues will be displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on Translation issues or Source issues to filter on strings with open issues.
- Hover over a string and click View Issue.
- Click on the Issue text to expose the comment field.
- Enter your comment and click Comment to reply or Comment & Close to reply and close the ticket in one action.
You can also reply to issues in the CAT tool by clicking on Issues in the side panel.
Strings that are flagged with issues will have a red vertical bar on the left side of the string
Close an Issue
Though all issue participants can close an issue, we recommend that the user that opened an issue is the one to close the issue once their question has been answered.
By default the user who opens the issue is the user assigned. Any user who comments on the issues will be notified of subsequent comments, even if the translations are published.
|Source String Issue||Translation Issue|
|Agency Account Owner||
|Translation Resource / Translation Resource Manager||
|Account Owner /