Set Translation Character Limit
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
Smartling allows you to set a character limit on a string’s translation. Setting a character limit warns translation resources when a translation exceeds your limit. (Configure the severity of this warning in your Quality Checks setting.)
Set a Character Limit (New Experience)
- From a project, click the Strings tab.
- Select the string(s) to edit.
- Click Actions and select Edit Character Limit.
- Under Add Limit, enter a character limit.
- Click Add.
Set a Character Limit (Classic)
- From within a Project, click Content > Translations.
- Mouse over a string and click the T icon.
- Enter a numeric character limit and click Submit.
Translation Character limits can also be set in the CAT tool by clicking Set Character Limit in the Additional Details panel. Character limits apply across all languages.
For certain file types, such as iOS Strings, iOS StringsDict, Android XML, and Custom XML, setting a string translation character limit in the file is supported. The limits apply for the specific string they are configured, not the entire file. If you are using the Strings API, you can set character limits for the translations when creating the string.