Choose a Translation Method
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
You can customize the translation step for each workflow.
Customize a Translation Step (New Experience)
- Within a project, click the gear icon and select Project Settings.
- On the left side, click Workflows.
- Next to the translation step to customize, click the down arrow and select Edit Step.
- In the Edit Step dialog box, select a translation method under Select Translation Provider.
- Customize your translation provider options depending on the option you selected by following the instructions below for Human Translators or Third Party Providers.
- Click Save.
Customize a Translation Step (Classic)
- Within a project, go to Project Settings > Translation Workflow.
- Next to the translation step of the relevant workflow, click the drop down arrow and select Edit.
- In the Edit Step dialog box, select a translation method.
- Depending on the selected translation method, additional fields may appear. Follow the instructions below to complete them before continuing.
- Click Save to customize the translation step or Cancel to exit.
You can control how human translators interact with content authorized into the workflow.
- Assign strings to specific resources: If checked, an Account Owner, Project Manager, or Translation Resource Manager needs to assign each string to a specific Translation Resource. If not checked, any Translation Resource can work on any string.
- Allow resources to claim jobs: If checked, Translation Resources can claim available jobs. If not checked, an Account Owner, Project Manager, or Translation Resource Manager needs to assign jobs to Translation Resources.
- Allow resources to translate outside of Smartling: If Allow Offline Work is checked, Translation Resources can choose to export work assigned to them to be completed outside of Smartling, for example, using a third-party CAT tool.
- Allow resources to edit or reject published strings: If checked, Translation Resources assigned to the translation step can edit or reject strings that have been published under the workflow.
- Automatically submit to the next workflow step on save: If checked, strings will automatically be submitted to the next workflow step when they're saved.
There are a number of disadvantages to allowing resources to translate outside of Smartling. Resources don't have visual context, which may negatively impact translation quality. New translations aren't immediately available for leveraging by other resources, which may increase costs. Finally, Smartling cannot capture and report on certain important data points.
You can also control when translations will be pre-published.
- Only if SmartMatch is set to pre-publish: Strings will be pre-published only if they match an enabled SmartMatch rule, and SmartMatch has been customized to pre-publish translations.
- When submitted to the next workflow step: Strings will be pre-published when they're submitted to the next workflow step.
- When saved: Strings will be pre-published when they're saved.
Copy Source to Target
This translation method copies the source text to the translation field and is useful for making source content available for adaptation for a different locale, for example, American English source content for British English translations.
Smartling provides built-in integrations with the following third-party providers of translation:
- Amazon Translate
- Google Translate
- Microsoft Translator
- Watson Language Translator
An account with the third-party is required in order to use each integration. Contact each provider directly to create an account, or if you need credentials for an existing account.
When a third-party provider is selected as the translation method, Smartling will send content authorized into the workflow to the third-party. When the third-party returns translations to Smartling, they will be advanced to the next step in the workflow.
Also consult this article for more information about integrating with a Smartling third-party provider..