Create & Configure Projects
Account Owners can create as many projects as required for the account.
Account Owners must give Project Managers access to the project, after it has been created. Each project will be configured with a Linguistic Package, which you can copy to other projects or choose to create a new one for each.
Accessing Project List
All Projects in the Account or that you have access to are listed in the Account Dashboard.
To access the Account Summary Dashboard, click the Smartling logo at the top left of any page in Smartling.
Create a Project
- Click the Smartling logo to access the Account Summary Dashboard.
- Click the Create New Project button
- Select a project type.
- Click Next
- Enter a project name
- Choose a name more suited to the content you will be translating, such as Marketing.
- This name will be displayed in the Smartling Dashboard, CAT Tool, in email notifications related to activity in the project, and in any reports generated from the project.
- If this is a first project, or you want to add a new linguistic package to this new project, click Create New Package.
- Select a Source Language you will translate from and Target Languages that you will translate to.
- By default, Smartling will automatically provide blank linguistic assets when you set up your first Project. You can always import any pre-existing assets to Smartling at a later stage.
- If this is not a first project, you can choose to add an existing linguistic package to this new project.
- This will copy and existing language pairs and linguistic assets to this new project.
- Click Create Project to finish.
Growth customers cannot create projects manually. If you are a Growth customer who wants to create a project, please contact your Customer Support Manager.
Rename a Project
To rename a Project in Smartling:
- Click on the Smartling logo to access the Account Dashboard.
- In the Actions column, click the pencil icon for the project you wish to rename.
- Type in your desired project name in the Project Name field.
- Click Save or Cancel to exit.
When creating a new project, it is important to choose the project type that aligns with your technology solution or the type of content you will be translating.
There are 4 main project types, each with sub-categories:
This project type is for translating mobile content via files, such iOS, Android, and Windows Phone string files
- Apple iOS: iOS application resources including .strings and .xliff files, store descriptions.
- Android: Android XML resource files, store descriptions.
- Windows Phone: Windows Phone application resources.
This project type is for translating web content via the Global Delivery Network
- Global Delivery Network (GDN): Content captured directly from your existing website or web application.
This project type is for translating content via files
- Resource Files: Translate content from industry-standard file formats such as JSON, XML, YAML, Gettext, Java Properties, or XLIFF.
- Business documents: Translate content in Microsoft Office document formats, including DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, and DOC, plus Adobe InDesign documents.
- Media: Translate video subtitle SRT files and add video context from .mp4 files.
This project type is for translating content via a Smartling connector to a third party system.
See the full list of Connectors and Plugins here.
Giving Users Access to Projects
Once the Account Owner creates a project, they must then give Project Managers and other users on the account access to the project. Project Managers can follow these steps to give users access to the projects the Project Manager already has access to.
- Go to Account Settings > Team
- Click the user tile
- Under Details, click the Projects field to see a full list of your projects.
- Select the project name or type the project name and then select from the list
Clone a Project
A cloned project has the same languages, users, and settings as the source project, but no content or context files. All project-level workflows will be copied to the cloned project, and users will have access to the same workflow steps.
Cloning is useful if you expect to launch new projects frequently, or you want to organize your content into separate projects with similar settings. It’s also a quick way to get started on a new project with your usual settings.
To clone a project:
- Click the Smartling logo to bring you to the Account Dashboard.
- Under the Actions column, click the clone icon for the project you wish to clone.
- Enter a project name and the languages to which you wish to translate.
- Click Create New Project.
For accounts with multiple projects, it might be useful to label the projects so assist in your translation project management. Labels provide a visual aid on your Account Dashboard.
To manage project labels, on the Account Dashboard, click Manage Labels.
From here, you can create, edit, or delete project labels.
- To create a label, click Add Label
- Input your label name and add a label color
- If you are creating a child label, choose a parent label from your previously created labels in the dropdown.
- Click Save Changes
- To edit a label, click the pencil.
- To delete a label, click the bin.
Applying Project Labels
To apply a project label to a project, from the Account Dashboard;
- Under Actions, click the pencil to edit the project
- Here you can rename the project and apply a project label.
- Click Save
For a complete list of supported file formats, see Supported File Types.
Archiving a Project
You can archive a project that's no longer needed or in use. This will remove it from the dashboard, and will prevent Translators from going into this project. An archived project is not permanently deleted and can be unarchived at any time.
Any strings that are currently in translation will remain in translation when unarchiving the project. All completed translations will be saved in the translation memory and can continue to be leveraged. To configure a new project to leverage translations that are in an archived project, see Configure Translation Memory Leverage.
Archive a Project
- Click the Smartling logo to go to the Account Dashboard.
- Find the project you wish to disable, and in the Actions column, click Archive Project to disable the project.
- Confirm your selection.
Re-Enable an Archived Project
- Click the Smartling logo to go to the Account Dashboard.
- Click Settings and enable Always display archived projects.
- Click Save.
- Find the project you wish to disable, and in the Actions column, click Unarchive Project to re-enable the project.
To access a project's settings:
- Enter the project (by clicking the project name)
- Click the gear icon on the right-hand side of the page (pictured)
From here, you can:
- Add a new language to the project
- Create and configure workflows
- View and update your Connector Configuration (if applicable)