Once you have created a Glossary in Smartling, you should continue to add and edit Glossary terms. A Glossary is meant to be a "living" document that changes as your content matures and evolves. Therefore, updating the Glossary on some frequency is encouraged.
If you are a Translator or Editor, you can add glossary terms directly in the CAT Tool.
Access the Entry Details
To enter any of the entry details from the Glossary Entries list, click the Term.
How to Add a Glossary Entry
To add a new entry, click + Entry and complete the Entry Details dialog.
- Under Term Language, select the language of the new term
- Enter the main term
- Decide if this term should be used with case-sensitivity and as an exact match by linguists
- Case-sensitive: you can mark your main term as case-sensitive. This can be considered exact match + case-sensitive. Selecting both case-sensitive and exact match gives the same results as just selecting case-sensitive. When marked as case-sensitive, a Glossary term is only detected and displayed in the CAT Tool if the capitalization used in the source text matches the Glossary entry.
- Exact Match: When marked as an Exact Match, the term will only be detected and highlighted in the CAT Tool if the source text uses this term exactly as seen in the Glossary. The source string can include the term with any variation of casing (sentence, title, upper, lower etc.). However, plurals or any variation to the ending of the term in the source string (unless specified in term variations), will not be highlighted as a glossary term.
- Enter a definition for the term to help translators understand its meaning (optional)
- Click "show more options" to view additional labelling options, such as DNT and custom fields
- If the term should display in all translations as seen in the model, select the DNT checkbox
- Under Part of Speech, choose a part of speech from the dropdown
- Under Label, choose from any of your pre-configured labels
- If custom fields have been enabled, insert custom field information
- Click Save
- Once saved, you can add translations in the entry panel on the right-hand side
Updating an Entry
You can add to or update an entry directly from the side view of the Glossary Entry List. Simply hover over an entry to highlight it blue, then click anywhere on the entry to open the side view and make necessary changes.
The entry side view is where you can find, add and update any entry metadata, such as images, custom fields, term translations, variations and example strings.
The history of when an entry was created or modified is captured and displayed in the entry side view. You can also filter for entries created and modified by a specific user in the Glossary Entry list.
Considerations For DNT
DNT should be applied to the language(s) that you use as a source language in your Smartling Projects.
When the source content contains a term which was marked as "DNT" for the relevant source language in the Glossary, the term is highlighted in the CAT Tool and a "Do Not Translate" instruction is shown for all target languages.
For languages where the term should be translated (usually required for Chinese, Japanese or Korean locales), you can add a translation in the entry detail panel once the entry is saved. This translation will then be shown in the CAT Tool and overwrite the DNT indication.