Create Glossary Entries
Once you have created a Glossary in Smartling, you should continue to add and edit Glossary terms. A Glossary is meant to be a "living" document that changes as your content matures and evolves. Therefore, updating the Glossary is encouraged.
This article covers how to:
- Access the Entry Details
- How to create a new Glossary Entry
- Updating an Entry
- How to create a DNT Term
If you are a Translator or Editor, you can add glossary terms directly in the CAT Tool.
Access the Entry Details
To enter any of the entry details from the Glossary Entries list, click the Term.
How to create a new Glossary Entry
To add a new entry, click + Entry and complete the Entry Details dialog.
In the Translations panel, insert the required information about the term:
- Select the language of the new term
- Enter the main term
- Decide if this term should be used with case-sensitivity and as an exact match by linguists
- Add any language notes you may have about the term
- Insert applicable Glossary Custom Fields, if enabled
- Click the + Language button to repeat the process for other languages in your Glossary
- To set the main term as DNT for specific languages, follow the steps in How to Create a DNT Term
In the Entry Details panel, give the linguists further contextual information about the entry:
Updating an Entry
You can add to or update an entry directly from the side view of the Glossary Entry List. Simply hover over an entry to highlight it blue, then click anywhere on the entry to open the side view and make necessary changes.
The entry side view is where you can find, add and update any entry metadata, such as images, custom fields, term translations, variations and example strings.
The history of when an entry was created or modified is captured and displayed in the entry side view. You can also filter for entries created and modified by a specific user in the Glossary Entry list.
How to create a DNT Term
To add a new entry as DNT, click + Entry and complete the Entry Details dialog.
In the DNT panel:
- Insert the term, as it should be used in your translations
- Decide if this term should be identified by Smartling only with case-sensitivity and as an exact match by linguists
- Choose the languages the DNT flag should be applied to
- DNT is applied to the source language. Select the source languages you are translating content from in the CAT Tool
- When the term is in the source content for the selected source languages, it is flagged as DNT as therefore used in your translations, regardless of the target language
When a term is set to DNT, this action overrides any language metadata, including language notes, variations, term custom fields.
To create a DNT entry for all or multiple languages, you do not have to complete the fields in the Translations or Entry Details panels. Simply complete the fields in the DNT panel, by inserting the term as it should be used in your translations, and select the languages the term should be used in.
You can edit any entry or term at any time by simply writing over it. Changes are automatically saved