The String Details dialog allows you to view:
- String Issues
- String History
- Source string metadata
- Translation details
Accessing String Details
To open the String Details of a string:
- In a Smartling Project, go to the Strings View
- Under the Actions columns, click the ellipse
- Choose any of the first 3 options
Viewing String Details
Once opened, you'll see the source string together with the target translation (if available). You can navigate from Issues, Instructions, Attachments, and History by clicking the respective tabs:
- In the Issues tab, you can add a new issue, or, if there are any open Issues on the string, you can view, comment and close the Issue from here, instead of using the Issues Report.
- You can view, add, edit, and delete any file or string instructions from the Instructions tab.
- You can view, add, edit, and delete any string attachments from the Attachments tab. String attachments are a combination of Job Attachments and string instructions, as they display to translators in the CAT Tool as instructions with a link to download a file. Only one attachment can be uploaded to a string.
- You can view all actions taken on the string, from the History tab.
To the right of the String Details dialog, you'll find source string metadata, which includes:
- Any visual context associated with the string.
- The project name which the string is in.
- The string hashcode, which is used to identify the string. This can be very useful for any support issues you may have.
- The source string word count. If you are applying a character limit to the translation of a string, it's best to ensure the limit is more than the word count of the source.
- Any string tags, variants, or keys.
- Any character or byte limit applied to the translation will be detailed under Length Limit.
Scroll down to find the translation details, which includes:
- The name of the workflow name that the string is progressing through.
- The workflow step the string is currently in.