Update a Glossary Term
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
Glossaries are used to define unique words or phrases that are important to your company. Industry lingo, brand names, and homonyms are all examples of common glossary entries. These help identify the tone, voice, and definition you want your Translation Resources to convey in the translations.
By design, a glossary is meant to be a "living" document that changes as your content matures and evolves. Therefore, updating terms is encouraged.
Update a Glossary Term (New Experience)
- Go to Account Settings > Linguistic Assets.
- Under Assets, click Glossaries.
- Click the name of the glossary to update.
You'll default to the glossary that applies to your source language but you can toggle to the language of your choice.
- Find the glossary term to update and click the pencil icon.
The Edit Glossary Term dialog appears.
- Edit the glossary term and then click Save Changes.
You can also work in a .xls, .csv, or .tbx file when editing glossary terms, which enables you to export those file types with target languages.
To edit a glossary from a file:
- In the top right area, go to More > Export Terms.
- Make updates to the file and then go to More > Update Terms From File.
- Choose the file and click Upload.
Update a Glossary Term (Classic)
- Go to Assets > Glossaries.
- Click the name of the glossary for which you'd like to add a term. You'll default to the glossary that applies to your source language (the language your content originates in) but you can toggle to the language of your choice.
- Find the glossary term you want to update and click the pencil icon to edit the term. The Edit Glossary Term dialog box will appear.
- Make any necessary changes then click Save Changes.
If you prefer to work in a .xls, .csv, or .tbx file when editing your glossary terms, instead of clicking the pencil icon on your glossary page:
- Click the More drop down arrow near the top right of the page and select Export. This will allow you to export in any of the above mentioned file types, and optionally include target languages.
- Once updates have been made to the exported file, click the More drop down arrow near the top right of the page and select Update From File. Provide the appropriate file path and click Upload.