Within Figma, you can send and receive translations performed within Smartling. The integration is intended to allow organizations to start translation earlier in the Software Development process. Rather than waiting for development to complete before your application is localized, you can now perform automated translations before development begins. Using the Figma plugin will also provide automatic Visual Context for linguists in the CAT Tool for images up to 50M pixels, or 25 MB on the entire page, (not just the submitted board(s)).
Although the Smartling Figma plugin is visible in the Figma browser, it is currently only accessible via the Figma Desktop app.
As mentioned above:
- Images must be under 50M pixels or 25 MB.
- The Smartling plugin only works on the Figma desktop app
Download Figma Desktop App
- Log into Figma browser
- Click the menu on the top left corner
- Click Get Desktop App
- Follow the installation instructions
Create a Files Project in Smartling
- Log into Smartling
- Create a Resource Files Project
Download the Smartling Figma Plugin
- Launch Figma Desktop App
- Install the plugin here
- Once you've installed the plugin, you'll need to connect it to your Smartling account
Connect the Smartling Figma Plugin to Smartling
- Open a new or existing Figma file.
- In the Figma menu (top left), click Plugins > Smartling. Here you'll notice all the translation features available.
- Select the Smartling Account option
- The Smartling Account section will open a browser to prompt you to authenticate with Smartling.
- On the browser, sign in with your Smartling credentials
- Select the Smartling project you want to submit Figma content to for translation
- Choose to exclude irrelevant strings
- Click Save
- Once the confirmation flag appears, you can click X to close out the window
Now you're ready to start translating with the Smartling Figma plugin.