Content Not Being Captured
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers using the Global Delivery Network
If you are having trouble capturing or finding content in the Smartling dashboard that should be translated on a Global Delivery Network (GDN) site, use the troubleshooting checklist below to help. If you are still unable to find you content, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check Capture Status
- Check Workflow Status
- Check Capture Configuration
- Check Content Structure
- Check Source Domain
- Check Custom Rules
- Check Caching
Check capture status
- Has the content been captured? In order to capture new content from a GDN site, you must visit one version of the localized page.
The GDN captures one instance of each unique string from your website, and will be associated with the first URL the GDN 'sees' the content on. If you are looking for your content based on URL, and don't find the string you expect, try using the keyword search or global search function instead.
Check workflow status
- Is the content authorized? Content must be authorized in order to be translated.
- Is the content not yet published? Content will appear untranslated on a GDN site until it reaches the Published, or Pre-Published state.
- Is the content excluded? Excluded content will appear untranslated on a GDN site. Click on Content > Translations > Excluded to view excluded content in your GDN Project.
- Have you reached the content capture limit? By default, the GDN will capture up to 10,000 strings in the authorization queue for a GDN project. You can clear your authorization queue by clicking on Translations > Awaiting Authorization > Actions > Clear Authorization Queue to make space for new strings, or contact your Customer Success Manager to raise your capture limit.
Check capture configuration
- Is there a greedy pattern? Pattern logic that is too general can prevent desired content from being captured and translated. Try making your pattern more specific by using additional parameters.
- Is there a Do Not Capture or Do Not Translate rule in place?
Use Editmode 3 to surface any translation rules or patterns currently applied to content on a page to quickly find if this is preventing content from being captured.
Check content structure
- Is the content embedded in an image? Text embedded in an image cannot be captured by the GDN. Try placing the text over the image or an image replacement.
- Is the content type wrong? If you declare the wrong content-type in the content header, the GDN may not parse your content properly (or at all).
Use the developer tool feature in your browser to inspect the response, use the search feature to find the content within a response. This will allow you to view information about the response headers and body format.
Check source domain
- Is the content being served from a 3rd party domain, including an embedded iframe? Smartling cannot capture content from domains that are not setup to be proxied by the GDN.
Use the inspect element or developer tool feature in your browser to expose the domain serving a particular piece of content.
Check custom rules
- Is there a custom rule in place preventing content capture? Contact email@example.com, or use Editmode 3 for advanced debugging on a page.
- If you have a caching layer between Smartling an your source site (typically a CDN), you may need to reset the cache in order for Smartling to capture new or changed content.
- If you are using Smartling's translation cache, and you have translated a piece of content but it is not appearing on the translated site, you may need to reset the cache for that page.