Translating Third-Party Content
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers using the Global Delivery Network
Smartling has the ability to capture content from domains that are setup to run through the Global Delivery Network (GDN). However, sometimes components of your site are externally hosted, and the content is served from domains that are not proxied by Smartling.
This is common if your website uses 3rd party inbound or marketing automation softwares like Hubspot, Marketo, Eloqua, Salesforce Marketing Cloud that power contact forms. Or, if your site uses iframes or a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to serve certain assets.
There are 2 common ways to handle the translation of 3rd party content with the GDN:
Proxy the domain
If you have the ability to create DNS records or traffic routing logic to send the externally hosted content through the Smartling proxy (or move it to domain that is already proxied), we can capture and translate the content.
Learn more about setting up a site on the Global Delivery Network (GDN). There is no limit to the number of source domains you can setup in a GDN Project, however you will be responsible for the page views associated with this new domain.
If you are unsure if you have enough capacity for additional page views in your contract, contact your Account Manager.
Use Content Swaps
If it is a small amount of content, consider using content swaps to replace 3rd party content on your localized site.
For contact forms hosted by Marketo, Hubspot, Eloqua or Salesforce Marketing Cloud, we recommend using our Connectors to translate these forms, and Swaps to display the translated versions on your website.
The basic process is as follows:
- Set up your desired Marketing Automation Connector with Smartling.
- Submit the content to be translated via the Smartling connector.
- Mark up the form element on your webpage with sl_swap.
- Do one of the following:
- In the New Experience, use the Swap interface (gear icon > Project Settings > Content Swaps) to swap in the translated form ID for each language you support.
- In the Classic Experience, use the Swap interface (Dashboard > Global Delivery Network > Content Swaps) to swap in the translated form ID for each language you support.
Not sure if your content is externally hosted?