Options for Editing Translations
As an Account Owner or Project Manager, there are three ways in which you can edit the translation of a string in the New Experience:
- In the Translation Memory via Edit or Find and Replace
- In the Strings View via Quick Edit
- In the CAT Tool via Save & Submit
- Alternatively, you can choose to move content back in the workflow for revision by a linguist.
If you need to make changes to translated content quickly, Account Owners and Project Managers can do so directly from the Strings View (in both account-level and project level).
To edit a string:
- Simply hover over a string you need to edit
- Click Edit Translation to open the edit dialogue.
- Type the changes into the translation field and click Save
The string must already be authorized for translation for the Edit Translation link to appear. The string can be In Progress or Published status. If string has not been authorized, then the user will not see the Edit Translation link
- Quick Edits to Published translations will re-publish the string - saving Quick Edits will automatically re-publish the string with changes - this will also trigger any additional callbacks / webhooks you have set up for when strings are published, including email notifications.
- Quick Edits will not move the string in a workflow - saving Quick Edits will not submit the string to the next step in the workflow. The string will remain in the step it is currently in until moved by a submit/reject action in the CAT Tool or the Strings View.
- AO/PM can directly save the translation without requiring any review/edit process.
- Quick Edits will not flag any Quality Check errors. Character limits, Blocklist terms, spellcheck flags, and any QC enabled on your project will not be flagged in Quick Edits.
- Glossary terms will not be highlighted or suggested in Quick Edits.
- Quick Edits will only be visible in the CAT Tool, if the CAT Tool is opened/refreshed after the Quick Edit is saved. If the String in the CAT tool is opened, the translator will not see changes unless they refresh. The latest saved translated will overwrite any previously saved translation. For example, if a translation is saved in the CAT Tool after a Quick Edit is saved, the CAT Tool translation will be visible in the Strings View and Translation Memory.
- Quick Edit will create a new entry in the Translation Memory as soon as they are saved. If the Quick Edit was made to an unpublished string, the Quick Edit TM entry can be overwritten with any changes made to the string when it is submitted to Published. SmartMatch can only be leveraged to Published strings.
- If formatting tags are present on the string, simply click the tags to add them to the translation field.
- No additional formatting is supported in Quick Edits
Edit in the CAT Tool
If you need to edit a string, but require the use of linguistic assets, such as glossary, style, TM, or even MT, you can edit the string in the CAT Tool. From the project Strings View, or account Strings View, find the string you want to edit and click Actions > Edit in CAT Tool.
This will open a new tab in your browser to access the Smartling CAT Tool. Only the language of the string selected will be available in the CAT tool. If a filter is applied in the String view, the same filter will not be applied when choosing to Edit in the CAT Tool.
For more information, read Accessing the CAT Tool.
To protect the translations submitted by Translation Resource users, the translation panel is locked. To unlock and edit the translations, click the padlock icon on the shortcuts bar, edit the translation, and click save then submit.