The Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC) Connector supports the translations of email, content builder email, data extension, and multirow data extension content. Translations are requested from within the Smartling platform and translated content is automatically sent to your SFMC instance.
Once you have connected your Salesforce Marketing Cloud instance with Smartling, you will find Salesforce Marketing Cloud content in the Salesforce Marketing Cloud tab in your Smartling project (New Experience), or from within Translate Content, under Salesforce Marketing Cloud in your Smartling Salesforce Marketing Cloud Project (Classic).
From here, use the Content Type filter to choose which content to translate.
There are two ways in which you can Request Translation;
1) Select the asset > Actions > Request Translation. This option also allows you to bulk-select multiple assets for translation.
2) Click the information icon of an asset > Request Translation. This option allows you to request translation for only that individual asset.
Both options will open the Request Translation wizard.
The Request Translation two-step wizard will appear for you to enter the Job details. You can choose to create a New Job or add the asset to an Existing Job.
- Insert the Job Name - the title for the translation task in Smartling.
- Ensure the asset selection is correct. Click the X to remove any asset listed.
- Insert a description for the linguists, if desired.
- Select the Target Languages.
- Click Save Job and Continue to create the Job in Smartling.
The next step will display the Job Processing. Once the processing is complete, the Authorize Job button will activate by turning blue. Click Authorize Job to set a Job Due Date, choose the workflow and submit the asset(s) for translation.
If you want to translate 50 assets or more in any given content type at once, you can perform a bulk selection to commence a mass translation process. To perform an action on the entire result set:
- Select the top checkbox that is in the table's header row.
- Choose the Select all matching current filter option that appears after you have selected all on the page.
- Choose to Request Translation or Export Translation of all assets listed
Recent Job Processes (bulk-selection)
When using the bulk actions feature to Request Translation, you can choose to create a new job or added the selected assets to an existing job (as seen in the new Request Translation wizard above).
Once you click Next, you will get confirmation that your job request is being processed. You can close the window, it won't disrupt the processing.
The number of bulk Job requests processed will be seen on the top right of the page. You can check the status of the Job Request by clicking the number icon, next to the sort by dropdown.
This will open the Recent Job Processes dialog where you can view the details and status of each bulk Job Request taken. You can cancel any incomplete Job Requests by clicking the 3 dots under Actions > Stop Process
Track Translation Progress of Each Asset per Language
You can track the translation progress of each asset per language on the Salesforce Marketing Cloud Progress page.
- Go to your Salesforce Marketing Cloud project in Smartling.
- Click the Gear icon > Salesforce Marketing Cloud Progress (New Experience)
- Click Translation Progress (Classic)
If your Salesforce Marketing Cloud Connector is configured to manually check for changes to source content, an Outdated column will be present in the list. Each time source content has been updated in Salesforce Marketing Cloud, a tick will be seen under the Outdated column, beside the asset. Filter for outdated content by selecting the Outdated checkbox.
Export Translations to Salesforce Marketing Cloud
As translations are completed, they are automatically sent to your SFMC instance as per your SFMC Connector configuration (every three hours is the default and recommended frequency).
To perform a manual export of translated content from Smartling to SFMC:
- From your Salesforce Marketing Cloud project, click the Salesforce Marketing Cloud tab (New Experience)
- Click on Salesforce Marketing Cloud > Translation Progress (Classic)
- Select the translated assets to download (Bulk-Select and Export is supported)
- Click Actions and select Export Translation (New Experience)
- Click Export to Salesforce Marketing Cloud (Classic)
Completed translations are returned to SFMC in the same folder as the original content. The locale code is appended to the translated asset.
Handling Updates to Salesforce Marketing Cloud Content
How your SFMC Connector handles changes made to your source content in SFMC is configured under changed content behavior within your SFMC project settings
Talk to your Customer Success Manager or Solutions Architect about configuration options regarding how your SFMC Connector retrieves translated content from Smartling.