Customize CAT Tool Behavior
This article is for Translators and Editors.
Customize your CAT tool preferences to make it easier and faster to complete your work.
Customize your keyboard shortcuts to mimic those of your favorite offline CAT tool, or create brand new ones to help you navigate Smartling faster.
- Go to CAT tool > Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Select a profile from drop down list, or enter your shortcuts in the fields, then click Save Changes.
A shortcut can only be applied to one command. If you try to apply a shortcut that is already in use, you will receive a warning message. The warning message will give you the opportunity to select a different shortcut or override the existing one. If you choose to override it, the previous shortcut will be erased and you will need to choose a new and unique keyboard shortcut.
General CAT Tool Preferences
In addition to keyboard shortcuts, you can customize your translation and display options, as well as font. Go to CAT tool > Settings > Preferences.
- Pre-populate TM matches: Decide whether you want to allow 100% translation memory matches to pre-populate within the CAT tool. If you turn this setting on, you can adjust the TM score percentage, for example 90% instead of 100%.
- Pre-populate machine translation if there's no TM match available over 100%: You can set the threshold for the TM and MT pre-population. If pre-population machine translation is enabled, and there's no fuzzy match available above the threshold that has been set, the CAT tool with then pre-populate machine translation.
- Auto-propagate updates to 100% repetitions across all pages (if content is in a job) or current page: If you have two or more draft or saved translations that are 100% matches, updating one of them will automatically update / auto-propagate the others (across all pages), provided that your content is in a job. Auto-propagation is at the segment level (not string level), and the segment needs to be saved before it gets saved to the TM. Any other translations that have been auto-propagated will also need to be saved.
- Notify before auto-propagating: By default, this setting is enabled. If you change one of the draft or saved translations, the Overwrite Translation dialog box will appear for you to confirm your action.
- Save auto-propagated strings: If this is turned OFF, repetitions will still be propagated but they're simply a draft.
- Replace straight quotes with smart quotes: Available for French, German, Norwegian languages, and Czech.
- Show tag values: Turn this on to enable an expanded view of the code. A simplified view makes it is easier to read the content because it hides the code within the CAT tool.
- Show spaces in between words: By turning this option on, a grey dot will appear to indicate a space between words.
- Always show TM extra info in Languages Resources panel
Change the default font option to your preferred font.
Sometimes you may see underlined words in the CAT tool, suggesting that there's a spelling error, when in fact, there isn't. Adding those words to the personal dictionary, that you know are correctly spelled, prevents them from appearing as a spelling error. Terms added to the personal dictionary will only be visible to you.
To add a term to the personal dictionary:
- Go to CAT tool > Settings > Personal Dictionary.
- Type in the word and click Add.
- Click X next to the term you want to delete.
- Click Save.