Glossary Custom Fields
Custom Fields on a Glossary allows for additional, non-standard information to be collected for each glossary term. Once you create the Custom Field, you will have the option to include specific metadata for that Custom Field when you add a term to the glossary. This information will be visible to users in the Glossaries section of the Dashboard and in the Glossary Entry information in the CAT Tool.
Managing Custom Fields
Create custom fields
Creating and viewing custom fields can be found through the Manage Custom Fields link in the Glossary section of Linguistic Assets. Once in Custom Fields, the user can create, view, and edit fields.
- Click Account Settings > Linguistic Assets > Glossaries > Manage Custom Fields
- To add a new custom field, click the Create Field button
- To view custom fields applied to a particular glossary, select the glossary.
The Create Custom Field dialog will provide for the options of creating a custom field, including:
- Title: The display name of the field.
- Input Type: The field type - short text (255 character limit in the field), long text (4096 character limit in the field), a custom multi-select dropdown, and a yes/no dropdown.
- Tooltip with Description: This is extra information displayed to the user about the field. This will be the information displayed under the information icon beside the Custom Field.
- Required field: If checked, this field is required when entering a glossary term.
- Allow translators to see field: If checked, linguists and agencies will be able to see this field and value in the CAT Tool. If unchecked, linguists and agencies will not see this field and value.
- Allow user to search field data: If checked, linguists and agencies will be able to search for the field value. If unchecked, linguists and agencies will not be able to search for the data.
- Enable Field: If Enabled, this term will be available to glossary terms. If disabled, this custom field will be hidden but existing data remains.
Once you have inputted the relevant Custom Field metadata, click Create
Add a Custom Field to a Glossary
Fields are not available to a glossary or glossary term until they have been associated with the glossary. To make a field available to a glossary, choose the target glossary from the dropdown, click and drag the term from the left side to the right side.
See below example of an enabled glossary term associated with the selected glossary.
Edit Custom Fields
Editing a field is available through the pencil menu in each field item.
Custom Fields in a Glossary
On the glossary term
When a glossary term has custom fields, those fields will show up at the bottom of the Add/Edit Term dialog.
- Click Account Settings > Linguistic Assets > Glossaries > select the target glossary > Add Term
In the CAT Tool
The Custom Field and Custom Field metadata inputted when adding a term to the glossary, appears to users in the CAT Tool when the hover over a glossary term (pictured).
Glossary field information will be shown to users in the CAT Tool if the "Allow translators to see field" option is checked on the Custom Field. To check if this was enabled when the custom field was created, simply edit the custom field by clicking the pencil.
Concept is the parent of the terms - including source and all of the translations.