There may be occasions when exporting content and downloading it as a CSV file is useful, such as:
- To run spellcheck in another tool
- To view content in an internal tool. (This is often the case with some agencies.)
- To easily sort and view content in a spreadsheet format
- To export content matching a specific filter, e.g. Excluded strings
You cannot re-import the exported CSV back into Smartling. If you want to export content and re-import, see Exporting/Importing Content for Offline Translation
Export Content to CSV
- In a project, click the Strings View.
- Using the filters on the left, such as Job or File/URL, find the strings you would like to export
- Do not select Show source language only, as this filter will now allow you to export strings. This does not mean that all strings will have a translation in the exported file. The exported file will contain selected strings as seen in the Strings View
- Select the checkboxes for the strings you want to export
- Alternatively, select all and choose all matching current filter
- Go to Actions > Export
- Click Download and Close
- A CSV with all strings view columns will download to your local drive. Here is an example exported file
It's best to open your CSV file via Google Sheets or Open Office. If you're using Excel, please follow steps outlined in our CSV documentation.