Please note that this Connector is a paid product. For pricing information, please reach out to your Smartling Customer Success Manager.
The Iterable Connector can be set up from within your Smartling Project, using an Iterable API key. Once the Connector has been installed, some additional settings need to be configured to ensure that all languages and content types are set up correctly.
Installing the Iterable Connector
To install the Iterable Connector, complete the following steps.
- Set up locales in your Iterable project
- Add all target locales which you would like to translate your Iterable content into.
- The source language is the locale that you would like to translate from. Although not a requirement, it usually corresponds to the default locale in Iterable.
- Create an API key
- It is important that you create a server-side API key.
Once you have obtained an API key, the Connector can now be installed from within Smartling.
- Create a new Project in Smartling:
- Select the Project type Connector
- Select Iterable as your connecting platform
- During the Project creation, select the desired source and target locales
- Once the Project has been created, ensure that all workflows, linguists assets and team members are set up correctly.
- From the Settings tab in your Smartling Project, navigate to the Iterable Settings.
Click Connect to Iterable.
- Enter your Iterable credentials.
URL: The URL value which should be entered here depends on the Iterable region where you are located:
- If you are located in the US, enter this URL: https://api.iterable.com
- If you are located in the EU, enter this URL: https://api.eu.iterable.com
API Key: This is the Iterable API key obtained in the first step of the setup process.
Source Language: Please enter the language that you would like to translate from, as it appears in Iterable.
Although not a requirement, this often corresponds to the default language of the Iterable site. It can be found in Iterable, under Settings > Project Settings > Locales.
- We recommend testing the connection to ensure it authenticates properly. To do so, click Test Connection. You will see a confirmation message as shown below:
- Click Save Connection to establish the connection between Iterable and your Smartling Project.
Iterable Connector Configuration
Once the connection between Iterable and Smartling has been established, it is essential to configure the Iterable Settings in Smartling to ensure the correct functioning of the Connector.
General: Automation of Prior Requests for Translation
You can configure the behavior of the Connector when content in your source assets changes. This setting only applies to assets which you previously requested a translation for.
- From within your Iterable Project in Smartling, navigate to the Settings tab > Iterable Settings.
- Click the Automation of Prior Request for Translation dropdown to select your desired behavior.
- To apply changes, click Save
- Auto: The Iterable Connector will automatically detect changes to source content. Any changes detected in the source content will be submitted to Smartling for translation and batched into a Job. Depending on your exact settings, the Job may be Awaiting Authorization or authorized automatically. consult your Smartling Customer Success Manager for more information regarding your authorization settings.
This setting will not detect net new content, but only updates to content assets that have already been submitted for translation in the past.
- Manual: The Iterable Connector will detect changes to source content, but it will not automatically submit content changes for translation. A user can then manually select the changed assets that should be re-translated, and Request Translation from the Actions dropdown.
- Disabled: The Iterable Connector will not detect changes to source content nor automatically submit new changes.
Precise language mapping between Iterable and Smartling is essential to ensuring the Connector is set up correctly and your content is passed from Iterable to Smartling for translation. It is also essential to ensuring your content is translated in the correct languages and translation are returned to the correct target sites. take extra care in completing the following steps:
- From within your Smartling Project, click on Project Settings > Iterable Settings.
- In the Language Configuration section, you will see the target languages which are set up for your Smartling Project on the right hand side. On the left hand side, under Target Languages, enter the exact locale names as they appear in Iterable.
For reference, you can find the locale names in Iterable, under Settings > Project Settings > Locales.
- Once you have entered the locale name as it appears in Iterable, click the check mark to save the language mapping.
When Smartling captures content from Iterable, you can determine how the Connector should handle each field type based on the formatting used in Iterable. This ensures that all content is parsed correctly and makes it easier to produce high-quality translations.
You can choose from the following parsing settings for each field:
- Do Not Translate
- Plain Text
To select the desired content parsing settings, navigate to the Iterable Settings > Content Parsing. Expand each content type and select the correct parsing setting for each field type from the drop-down menu.