Core: Create a Job / Request Translation
In Smartling, a Job is a translation task that progresses through a workflow. The Jobs feature allows you to group and prioritize content for translation, as well as giving you the ability to monitor the translation progress throughout completion. Jobs can be created on a file basis, or by selecting individual strings to be included in a job. You must first create a job, then authorize it to begin the translation process.
The steps outlined in this document are for Account Owner and Project Manager user functionality. Requesters can refer to this article for steps applicable to their user functionality.
If you are adding new files or strings to an existing job, you will be prompted to authorize the job again.
How to Create a Job
The process of creating a Job in Smartling is to Request Translation. There are four areas in the Smartling Dashboard that Account Owner and Project Manager users can create a Job;
- The account-level Jobs Dashboard
- The project-level Jobs Dashboard
Method 1: Create a Job in the account-level Jobs Dashboard
The account-level Jobs Dashboard is located within Jobs, between Projects and Reports, seen on the top panel of the platform.
To submit content for translation, create a translation job;
- Click Request Translation
- Complete the fields in Step 1 of the Request Translation wizard;
- Upload the file for translation (required) - drag & drop or select files from your local drive
- Enter the Job Name (required)
- Choose the Project the Job will be translated in
- Choose the Target Languages (required) - type the locale or click Select All
- Click Save Job and Continue
In step 2 of the Request Translation wizard, choose to start the translation process and Authorize Job, or if you don't want to start the translation process yet, click Save for Later and keep the Job Awaiting Authorization in your Jobs Dashboard.
Step 2 of the Request Translation wizard includes the following details;
- Total source words: All words, across all languages.
- Total weighted words: Words in each fuzzy match tier multiplied by the rate discount for that tier.
- Cost Estimate: A cost estimate will automatically be generated for that job. The cost estimate takes into account the rates to which your translation vendors have agreed, any translation memory leverage, and repeated content within the project itself. (If you see a warning icon in Cost Estimate, this indicates that some rate information is missing, and you should set the rate from within the Team menu (at the top of the page).
- Workflow: By default, the workflow will be the default workflow for each locale. You can change the workflow of each locale in the Job by clicking Show details and choosing a workflow from the dropdown beside each locale listed.
Method 2: Create a Job in the project-level Jobs Dashboard
The project-level Jobs Dashboard is located from a chosen Project, within the Jobs tab, between the Summary and Files tabs. The steps to creating a Job here are the same as Method 1 (above), with the exception that the Project field will not be included in the Request Translation dialog.
Creating a Job in the project-level Jobs Dashboard is preformatted for the chosen project.
A Job that has not commenced stays in Awaiting Authorization. The translation process will not begin until you click Authorize.
The Authorize dialog is the same as that step 2 in the Request Translation wizard captured above.
Click Confirm to start the translation process.
A Job requires authorization any time unauthorized content is added to it, for example, adding new files to an existing job. Content that is already in progress or completed will not be affected by this action.
For more information, read Manage Translation using Jobs