Translating with the Zendesk Connector
The Zendesk Connector supports the translation of categories, sections, articles, and dynamic content. Translations are requested from within the Smartling platform, and translated content is automatically sent to your Zendesk instance.
Once you have connected your Zendesk account, you will find Zendesk content in the Zendesk tab in your Smartling project (New Experience), or from within Translate Content, under Zendesk in your Smartling Zendesk Project (Classic).
From here, use the Content Type filter to choose which content to translate.
There are two ways in which you can Request Translation;
1) Select the asset > Actions > Request Translation. This option also allows you to bulk-select multiple assets for translation.
2) Click the information icon of an asset > Request Translation. This option allows you to request translation for only that individual asset.
Both options will open the Request Translation wizard.
The Request Translation two-step wizard will appear for you to enter the Job details. You can choose to create a New Job or add the asset to an Existing Job.
- Insert the Job Name - the title for the translation task in Smartling
- Ensure the asset selection is correct. Click the X to remove any asset listed
- Insert a description for the linguists, if desired
- Select the Target Languages
- Click Save Job and Continue to create the Job in Smartling
The next step will display the Job Processing. Once the processing is complete, the Authorize Job button will activate by turning blue. Click Authorize Job to set a Job Due Date, choose the workflow and submit the asset(s) for translation.
Both draft and published content will be displayed in Smartling for translation. You can request translation of draft content, however visual context is only available if the article is published and has its visibility set to everyone.
If you want to translate 50 assets or more in any given content type at once, you can perform a bulk selection to commence a mass translation process. To perform an action on the entire result set:
- Select the top checkbox that is in the table's header row.
- Choose the Select all matching current filter option that appears after you have selected all on the page.
- Choose to Request Translation or Export Translation of all assets listed
Recent Job Processes (bulk-selection)
When using the bulk actions feature to Request Translation, you can choose to create a new job or added the selected assets to an existing job (as seen in the new Request Translation wizard above).
Once you click Next, you will get confirmation that your job request is being processed. You can close the window, it won't disrupt the processing.
The number of bulk Job requests processed will be seen on the top right of the page. You can check the status of the Job Request by clicking the number icon.
This will open the Recent Job Processes dialog where you can view the details and status of each bulk Job Request taken. You can cancel any incomplete Job Requests by clicking the ellipses/3 dots under Actions > Stop Process
Export Translations to Zendesk
As translations are completed, they are automatically sent to your Zendesk instance as per your Zendesk Connector configuration (every three hours is the default and recommended frequency).
To perform a manual export of translated content from Smartling to Zendesk:
- From your Zendesk project, click the Zendesk tab (New Experience)
- Click on Zendesk > Translation Progress (Classic)
- Select the translated assets to download (Bulk-Select and Export is supported)
- Click Actions and select Export Translation (New Experience)
- Click Export to Zendesk (Classic)
The parent content areas must be translated in order for content lower in the Zendesk content tree to appear in your translated Help Center. For example, a translated article will not appear until its corresponding Section and Category are translated and published.
Handling Updates to Zendesk Content
How your Zendesk Connector handles changes made to your source content in Zendesk is configured under changed content behavior within your Zendesk project settings
Talk to your Customer Success Manager or Solutions Architect about configuration options regarding how your Zendesk Connector retrieves translated content from Smartling.