Translate URL Paths
This article is for Account Owners.
Your site’s URLs often contain information about your content. Your ‘About’ page probably contains ‘/about/’ in the URL. When you translate your site, it’s a good idea to also translate your URLs, as this makes your site easier to read, and can improve search rankings. If you serve your translated site through Smartling’s Global Delivery Network (GDN), you can capture and translate your URLs along with the rest of your content.
To make sure that we don’t break any links on your site, we need to follow a few steps to deploy URL translations.
1. Capture your URLs.
2. Authorize the URLs that are to be translated.
3. When translation is complete, switch over to the translated URLs.
4. Filter URLs that are not to be translated.
Capture Your URLs
URLs are translated like any other string in the GDN and are captured when a page is served. To get started:
- Go to Projects (select a project) > Content > URL Translation.
- Make sure that Enable capture of URL strings is checked. Now, as your translated sites are browsed, Smartling will begin to capture URLs. You can use a crawler to capture URLs more quickly.
- To manually add URLs, click +Add URL. The Add New URL dialog box will appear.
- Enter the URL and click Add.
Authorize URLs to be Translated
As your URLs are captured they will be displayed in Content > URL Translation. The default view shows your source URLs.
To authorize URLs for translation:
- From the Select locale drop down menu, select a language.
- For each language, click Translate, or check multiple URLs and click Actions > Request Translation.
URL strings will be authorized into the default workflow for the language. In the Translation column, you will see "Translation in Progress" for each requested URL.
Switch over to Translated URLs
- Go to Content > URL Translation.
- Ensure that Enable URL translation functionality is checked. Unchecking this box at any time will turn off all translated URLs. For a consistent launch, you may want to leave this box unchecked until all URLs are translated.
To enable serving a translated URL:
- Click the Select locale drop down menu and select a language.
- In the Actions column, switch individual URLs to ON, or check multiple URLs and click Actions > Enable URL.
Filter URLs Not to be Translated
To filter out these unwanted URLs:
- Go to Content > URL Translation and select the URL Filters tab.
- Click Add Filter. A filter is formatted as a Java Regular Expression inside ellipses. For example, (/+.js/) will exclude any URLs ending in .js.
- Click Add.