Exclude Content from Translation and Restore Excluded Strings
At times, there may be strings captured from a webpage or file that you don't want to translate. For these cases, you can exclude strings of strings from being translated.
Likewise, there may be times when you need to restore excluded strings, so the strings can be translated or deleted.
This feature is useful for excluding strings like email addresses, proper names, company names, addresses, trademarked terms, etc. from being translated.
The following behaviors apply when you Exclude strings:
- Strings will not enter the translation workflow, so you do not incur translation costs.
- Excluded strings will appear untranslated in your translated file or webpage - it will not be removed.
- Excluded strings can be found in the Strings View, by filtering by Status > Excluded.
- For GDN projects, if you want to avoid adding a string to your permanent exclusion list, delete the string instead via the Actions menu. Strings must not be excluded before being deleted.
- Exclusions apply on the string level. If you upload a new file with a string that has already been excluded, you will need to exclude the new instance of the string, unless your project is configured to share strings, or you are using the Global Delivery Network.
Exclude strings from the Strings View (New Experience)
- From a project, click the Strings tab.
- With the filters on the left, find the string(s) you want to exclude.
- Check the boxes next to the strings to exclude or select all strings.
- Click Actions and select Exclude.
- In the dialog that appears, click Exclude again to confirm.
Exclude strings From the List View (Classic)
strings that has already been captured can be excluded in the Smartling Dashboard at any time:
- Go to Projects (select a project) > strings > Translations. You can exclude:
- Strings by filter (in Awaiting Authorization) -or-
- Strings in bulk and by locale (within In Progress or Completed)
- To exclude strings by filter, from the dropdown near the top of the page, select Awaiting Authorization. Click Actions > Exclude All.
- The following dialog box will appear. Click Exclude All.
- To exclude strings in bulk and by locale, from the drop down menu near the top of the page, select In Progress or Completed. Click Actions > Exclude All.
- The following dialog box will appear. Click Select All Locales to display all locales to exclude. You can also click the 'x' next to a language to remove it from being excluded. Click Next.
- Click Exclude selected strings for selected locales.
Restore strings from the Strings View (New Experience)
If you want to restore excluded strings, you will need to first restore the strings in the Strings view and then reauthorize them.
- From a project, click the Strings tab.
- In the Status filter, select Excluded.
- Check the boxes next to the strings you want to restore.
- Select Actions and click Restore Excluded.
- On the Jobs page, in the Language tab, click Authorize to reauthorize the strings.
Restore strings From the List View (Classic)
At some point, if you've changed your mind and wish to "un-exclude" strings that you initially excluded from translation, you'll need to first restore the strings and then authorize them.
- Go to Projects (select a project) > strings > Translations.
- From the status dropdown menu, filter for Excluded strings.
- Select the string and click Restore. To restore multiple strings, select the strings and click Restore Group or click Actions > Restore.
- The Restore Strings dialog will appear, and you'll be able to select locales before clicking Next.
- Click Restore selected strings for selected locales.
The restored strings will automatically be sent back to Awaiting Authorization and you'll need to authorize them to begin the translation process.
Advanced Content Exclusion
You can pre-format your file or source code to instruct Smartling to exclude strings for translation as strings is captured. Strategies to do this depends on your content type and/or solution: