Manual Upload of Images and HTML
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
Visual context helps Translators make linguistic, layout, and spacing decisions based on where strings appear in on your website, mobile or desktop application.
For non-web content such as mobile or desktop applications, image files (screenshots) can be uploaded and associated with source strings to provide visual context.
Add Screenshots to Your Content
- Do one of the following:
- In the New Experience, from a project, click the Context tab and then click Image Context.
- In the Classic Experience, go to Projects > Content > Image Context.
- Click Upload Files. Drag and drop images/screenshots directly onto the page or browse for files to upload. You can add a single file or multiple files at once.
- You can select up to 100 files with a size limit of 10MB per file.
- Files are processed one at a time.
- Once each file has finished processing, you can click the context file and review the strings that are matched with it.
- Click and drag your pointer to select your text / source string.
- Type the string in the text box and select the corresponding source string from your content list.
Smartling uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to automatically match text in images to strings in your project. You can review and improve context after the automatic recognition has taken place. Essentially, images just need to be captured and uploaded.
For OCR to work, make sure your source content (strings) have been uploaded to Smartling before you upload your screenshot.
The Image Context API can be used to automate the upload of context images. Unfortunately, image context is not dynamic, and will not display translated text the same way as HTML context. In other words, if the length of your translated text is longer or shorter than the original text on the site, your translated text won't automatically scale/adjust to the allotted space on the site.
Add Screenshots to Your Strings (New Experience)
To add context to your strings with images:
- Click the Strings tab.
- Select the checkbox next to the strings(s) you want to add context to.
- Click Actions and select Add Context.
- In the dialog that appears, click Browse and select the .png or .jpeg image to add.
- Click Add Context. The updated context will be visible in the CAT tool.
Add Screenshots to Your Strings (Classic)
You can add context to your string(s) by doing the following:
- Go to Jobs > select a job > View all strings.
- Select your string(s) and click Actions > Add Context, then upload your context (.jpg or .png files).
- If you had previous context for those strings, it will be overwritten with the new context.
- If some strings are not recognized, it's also possible to add context manually on the context page.
When you launch the CAT tool, you'll see your uploaded context for your string(s).