Add a Video URL for Subtitle Translation
When translating subtitle (SRT) files, you should always add a video file URL for Visual Context. otherwise, translators will not see any Visual Context in the CAT Tool when translating the subtitles.
When uploading the SRT file into Smartling, you will be prompted to add a URL for Visual Context. There may be times when you do not have the video URL available at the time of SRT upload. If this happens, you can add the URL at a later stage, via the Context tab.
Adding a Video URL for Visual Context
- Go to your Smartling project
- Upload content for translation
- Once the content file has been uploaded, you can choose to authorize the Job and then upload context, or leave it in Awaiting Authorization and proceed to upload context
- Next, click the Context tab in your project
- Click Upload Context
- In the Visual Context dialog, enter the publicly available YouTube, Vimeo, or MP4 URL
- Click Add Link
- Next, choose to process the full video for subtitle files
- Alternatively, if you want to use this video file as video context for image extraction, select Use full video for subtitle files
- Choose to match text in the context file with all strings in the project, or select a specific file from the dropdown list of all files in the project
- Click Upload
- A success message will appear at the bottom of the screen, confirming the number of strings that have been match to the context file
What happens Next?
Once your SRT and video files have been added to Smartling, you'll see them in your Files list. You may experience a slight delay with the video thumbnail until the best frame is loaded.
Only direct links to an MP4 file, Vimeo, or YouTube video are supported. Your link should look something like this:
https://yoursite.com/demos/sample-videos/small.mp4. Keep in mind the following when adding your video file link:
- It must be publicly accessible
- It can't be a link to a video that's embedded in a web page
- It can't be a link that previews the video in a browser
Update an SRT or Video File
If you make changes to your original video or subtitles, you can update these assets in Smartling for retranslation.
- Do one of the following:
- In the New Experience, from your media project, click the Files tab and then click the three dots.
- In the Classic Experience, from your media project, go to Content > Files and click the three dots.
- Select Delete File from the dropdown.
- Click Upload Files, and upload your updated SRT file and/or updated video link.