Custom Fields for Jobs
Custom Fields for Jobs allow for additional, non-standard information to be included for each Job. Examples include internal references such as PO numbers, ID numbers, or any unique identifiers you may have. You can choose to have this information only visible to users in the dashboard and/or available to view in the CAT Tool. Only Account Owner users can create and manage custom fields.
Managing Custom Fields
To Manage Custom Fields, go to the account-level Jobs Dashboard, click the gear icon, and choose Manage Custom Fields.
You will be brought to a page where you can view, edit and create Custom Fields.
Create Custom Fields
To Create Custom Fields, click Create Field
The Create Custom Field dialog will provide for the options of creating a custom field, including:
- Title: The display name of the field, eg PO Number.
- Input Type: The field type - short text (255 character limit in the field), long text (4096 character limit in the field), a custom multi-select dropdown, and a yes/no dropdown.
- Tooltip with Description: This is extra information displayed to the user about the field. This will be the information displayed under the information icon beside the Custom Field.
- Required field: If checked, this field is required when creating a Job. The user cannot create the Job without inputted data into this Custom Field. Please note, this will not be applicable to Jobs created via the Smartling API.
- Allow translators to see field: If checked, linguists and agencies will be able to see this field and value in the CAT Tool. If unchecked, linguists and agencies will not see this field and value.
- Allow user to search field data: If checked, users will be able to search for the field value in the account-level and project-level Jobs Dashboard filters. If unchecked, users will not be able to search for the data.
- Enable Field: If Enabled, this term will be available to assign to Projects in the Manage Projects tab. If disabled, this custom field will be hidden but existing data remains.
Once you have inputted the relevant Custom Field metadata, click Save and Create Field.
Assign a Custom Fields to a Project
To use Custom Fields in Jobs, they must be assigned to Projects. Click Manage Projects to manage Custom Fields for Projects.
- Select a Project from the dropdown.
- You will see the list of Custom Fields you have created in the previous tab listed in the Unassigned column (left)
- Simply drag and drop the Custom Field to the Assigned column (right) and click Save to assign this Custom Field to the selected project.
- Drag and drop the Custom Field to the Unassigned column and click Save to unassign that Custom Field from the selected Project.
- Click Reset to revert the assignment back to how it was previously saved.
Using Custom Fields for Jobs
Once you have created Custom Fields and assigned them to a Project, users can view the Custom Fields in the following areas;
Custom Fields in the Jobs Dashboard
If you checked the "Allow user to search field data" tickbox when creating the Custom Field, users will be able to see the Custom Field at the bottom of the search and filters panel in the Jobs Dashboards (both account-level and project-level). Users will also be able to search for Jobs containing the Custom Field data.
Custom Fields in the Request Translation dialog
When a user creates a job via the Request Translation dialog, they will see the Custom Fields under Target Languages. If you checked the "Required field" tickbox, users will have to input data into the field to create the Job. Note the information icon displayed beside the Custom Field will contain the information you included in the "Tooltip with Description" field when creating the Custom Field.
Custom Fields in Jobs
Users will see the Custom Field and data in the Addional Details panel of the Job. Note the information icon displayed beside the Custom Field will contain the information you included in the "Tooltip with Description" field when creating the Custom Field.
Custom Fields in the CAT Tool
If you checked the "Allow translators to see field" tickbox when creating the Custom Field, users will see the Custom Field and data in the Addional Details panel of the CAT Tool.