Monitor Translation Status and Apply Translations in Figma
Although the Smartling Figma plugin is visible in the Figma browser, it is currently only accessible via the Figma Desktop app.
After you've submitted Figma content for translation, you'll need to check on the status and apply the translations when they're completed. You can monitor the translation progress and apply completed translations to Photoshop from Smartling from the Translation Status page.
Downloading page by page allows the Figma designer to have full control over when the translations are applied to the prototype.
Alternatively, a Smartling user can download the translated files from Smartling and manually import them into Figma.
Accessing Content's Translation Status
To check translation status and to apply your translations, please follow these steps:
- Launch Figma Desktop App
- Open Figma prototype
- Now select the Figma page from within the prototype that you'd like to check the status for as shown below:
- In the Figma menu (top left), click Plugins > Development > Smartling > Translation Status. Here you will see status details including:
- The submitted file name
- The date the content was submitted to Smartling for translation
- The date the Job is due
- The Job name hyperlinked to bring you directly to the Job in Smartling.
- If the file has been translated into a language, it will be marked as "Completed" and already selected - ready for you to open in Photoshop by clicking Apply Translations.
Translation Status Actions
- Click Cancel Translations to remove the file from Smartling. The Job will still exist but no content will be available to translate. This allows you to submit another page for translation under the existing Job.
- Click Apply Translations when the language is complete to retrieve the translations from Smartling to Figma. More detail on this below.
The percentage beside the target language indicates how many strings have reached the final step in Smartling - published. Ideally, you should wait until the Translation Status indicated that each language is Completed, and all translations are published before applying translations.
If you apply the translations before the language is completed, you may find some strings in your Figma page untranslated, as seen in the example below.
Each time you apply translations, a new page is created under Figma Pages for each language. The target locale is appended to the end to indicate a translated page, e.g. Dashboard Login [German (Germany)]. Each language is considered a new page within Figma. You can add new content, change content or make any modifications without having an impact on the source page.
To Apply Translations from Smartling to Figma
- Under Pages, click the page you submitted for translation
- Click Plugins > Smartling > Translation Status
- Select the target language you want to apply to your Figma page (which should be completed)
- Click Apply Translations
- A translated copy of the design page will be created (as seen in the image above)
- After you adjust the layout so that all translations are properly displayed, you can export an offline file for each language, if needed.