Find and Replace Translations
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
As an Account Owner or Project Manager, it may be necessary to find and replace translations within a project or account to ensure translation consistency. Through the Content Search feature, you are able to search for content or translations across your account, regardless of workflow state. This is particularly useful if you need to change a product name, a proper noun, or correct a widespread error.
Keep in mind the following:
- Content search and replace may not update all translations in the translation memory. For example, TMX files can be used for translation memory leverage i.e. SmartMatch and TM suggestions in the CAT tool, but content search and replace does not cover TMX files, only translations that appear in Smartling projects.
- You can't perform a content search and replace on tags and placeholders.
Access Content Search
Do one of the following:
- In the New Experience, click Search in the top bar.
- In the Classic Experience, click the Smartling logo > Content Search.
Search and Replace
- From the Projects drop down menu, select a project (or multiple projects). This will activate the other fields.
- In this example, the Language filter is set to "Spanish", and the Source String is "teas". Clicking Search will show a list of source strings that contain "teas", and all of the Spanish translated strings that contain "tés".
- Turn on Replace mode. This allows you to enter the translated word(s) with the word(s) you wish to replace it with. In this example, "tés", the Spanish word for "teas", will be replaced by "cafés" (coffees). Entering "tés" in the Translation to Replace field automatically highlights every Spanish string that contains "tés".
- Enter a word in the Replace Translation With field. In this example, we're using "cafés".
- Select the strings for the words you wish to replace. (You need to have filled out the Replace Translation With field and selected your string(s) for Match Whole Word and Case Sensitive to become active.)
- Click Replace.
If you've selected all source strings, instead of manually selecting individual strings, note the following:
Match Whole Word:
- Turn this ON so that an exact match of the word(s) will be replaced. In this example, only an exact match for the word, "tés", will be replaced.
- If this setting is OFF, the letters "tés" could appear within a word, and be mistakenly replaced.
- Turn this setting ON for an exact case sensitivity match when replacing words.
- Turn this setting OFF if case sensitivity is not an issue when replacing words.