Smartling uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to automatically match the text in image context files to your content. When there is a successful match, Smartling creates a binding between the text in the image context and the matched string in the content. The result of this is highlighted strings in the Context panel in the CAT Tool.
Occasionally, OCR may not map strings automatically. There can be a number of reasons why the OCR has not worked as intended, however this can be resolved quickly and easily by binding strings manually in the Image Context Editor.
Image Context Editor
You can access the Image Context Editor by the following steps:
- Go to the Context Dashboard
- Click the thumbnail of the image context file you want to manually match strings with
View Matched Strings
Any boxed text on the image file is matched with a string in the project or file (whichever was selected upon upload). The boxed text will display as highlighted strings in the Context panel of the CAT Tool.
You can view all the matched strings and string metadata on the strings panel (right-hand side). Click on any string in the strings panel to highlight it in the image context.
You can edit the matching by adjusting the box on the text in the image. Simply click, drag or move the box to edit the matching.
To remove any of the matching, simply click the x beside the string in the strings panel. This removes to text box and allows you to manually match the text to a string.
Manual match strings to context
- Click Add String
- Click and drag on image to create a text box
- Ensure to surround the text in the image with the text box
- In the search field in the strings panel, type the text of the string you want to match to the image
- Click on the correct string from any of the suggested strings listed
- Click Save
The text on the image is successfully matched with a string from the project/file and a will be highlighted to users in the CAT Tool.