Some translation tasks may require you to download the translated file before it is published, to complete desktop publishing (DTP) or post-processing work offline, before sending it to Content Owners for approval.
If the file is not too large, you can upload the file as a Job Attachment for Content Owners to access in Smartling. Alternatively, files can be shared via email, file transfer, or cloud storage applications. Content Owners can then upload the file and submit it to the published step to complete the Job.
Agency Account Owner, Translations Resource Mangers, and Translation Resource users can download translations via the Jobs Dashboard, List View Strings View.
You can download current (saved) translations for Jobs that are in progress on an Edit, Review or Hold workflow step types, in the following file formats:
- Microsoft Word (docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (pptx)
- Microsoft Excel (xlsx)
- Adobe InDesign (idml)
- SubRip Subtitles (srt)
- JSON (.json)
Note: If a language is not fully translated, the file will contain source copy content.
Download from the Jobs Dashboard
- In Smartling, go to your Jobs Dashboard
- On any Job that's in progress, click the ellipses on the right > Download Files
- Choose the languages you want to download from your assigned languages
- Choose how you want the file organized
- Click Confirm to download the file
Choose how you want your files organized locally from one of the following options:
- Subfolders for language: downloads a .zip file containing one folder per language.
- Each folder is titled by locale ID.
- The translated file does not contain a locale ID in the file name.
- Language in file names: downloads a .zip file containing a file per language.
- The file name contains the locale ID.
- Subfolders for language and language in filename: downloads a .zip file containing one folder per language for translated files with the locale ID in the file name.
Download from the List View
- In Smartling, access the Project Dashboard by clicking the Project name:
- Click the hyperlinked Project name under the Job name in the Jobs Dashboard
- Click the Projects dropdown and select a Project
- Click Translations to bring you to the List View
- Click the downward arrow beside timestamp
- Your translated file will download locally
Download from the Strings View
Although it is not technically a translated file, you can export a CSV file of translated strings from the Strings View:
- Access the Strings View
- Filter for the strings you want to export
- Click Actions > Export
- A CSV file will download locally containing; String ID, Source Text, Variant, File/URL, Locale, Translation Text.