The new and improved translator experience of Smartling is about to be rolled out. The enhanced interface gives you a better overview of Jobs and strings within a project. This article outlines what changes to expect, so you can continue to work in Smartling confidently.
It is likely that you are already familiar with much of the new experience. The change will replace the Classic Experience of the Project Dashboard and List View with the new experience of the Project Summary page and Strings View.
The Project Summary page provides an overview of activity within a particular project, which includes:
- New Content: a word count of Jobs authorized in a project.
- If you notice content not in a job, we recommend reaching out to the Account Owner or Project Manager of the project
- Issues: a count of source and translation issues opened in a project
- Jobs: a list of all Jobs in progress in a project
The Strings View, which has been in BETA for some time, is a list of all strings that are assigned to you. The improved search and filters allow you to locate strings with ease, while the Actions menu allows you to make single or bulk-actions on strings. Actions include:
- Submit the string to the next step in the workflow
- Reject translations back in the workflow (if enabled on the workflow step)
- Export a CSV of the strings
The Strings View is also customizable, so you can choose what string information you see.
Tip: The Classic Experience will be deprecated by Q4 of 2023. We recommend migrating to the New Experience as soon as possible.
How to work in the New Experience
- Can I still use the Classic Experience?
While this is in rollout, you can switch to the Classic Experience by clicking your name and selecting Edit Profile from the dropdown menu
switch the "New Experience" toggle off.
- Where can I see the jobs for a particular project in the New Experience?
From the Jobs Dashboard, use the Projects filter to view jobs within a project.
Alternatively, click the Projects dropdown on the top navigation and select a particular project. This is the new Project Summary page. View Jobs in project in the Jobs container.
- How can I see jobs assigned to me?
From the Jobs Dashboard, click the “Current Work” preset search.
- How can I see upcoming Jobs?
From the Jobs Dashboard, click the “Upcoming” preset search.
- How can I accept or decline a job?
From the Jobs Dashboard, click the “Available to Accept” preset search.
- How can I open a job in the CAT Tool?
From the Jobs Dashboard, click the “Open” button on the far right to open the Job in the CAT Tool.
- How can I see strings I have submitted?
From your Jobs Dashboard, click the “Submitted” preset search on the left to access jobs you have submitted, and click on the words linked to access the Strings View.
Alternatively, click the Projects dropdown, select a project, and click the Strings tab to access the Strings View. Use the Status filter to see strings that are “In Progress” or “Published”.
- How can I download files?
From your Jobs Dashboard, click the ellipses under Actions to download files. If you are downloading translated files for DTP, ensure the content owner has attached the relevant design assets as a Job Attachment.
- How can I download files for offline work?
If offline work is enabled by the Account Owner or Project Manager, you can export and import translations for offline work from the Jobs Dashboard.
- How can I access Translation Memory, Glossary
Depending on the permissions granted by Account Owners and Project Managers, you will be able to see which assets you have access to from the Project Summary page: click the Projects dropdown, select a project, and click Assets on the top navigation.
- How can I access my notifications?
Click your name on the top navigation and select Notification Settings.
- How can I access my reports?
The Reports dropdown is located on the top navigation. You have access to the Issues and Linguistic Quality Assurance Errors & Arbitration reports without having to select a project.
For Word Counts and String Changes, you first need to select a project from the Projects dropdown, and the corresponding reports will then be available from the Reports dropdown in the top navigation.
- How can I switch user roles?
If you have been given dual role permissions, you can switch roles by clicking the dropdown menu under your name and selecting the user role to switch to.