Translating with the Sanity Connector
The Sanity Connector supports translation of Document content. Translations are requested from within the Smartling platform, and translated content is automatically sent to your Sanity instance.
This article will walk you through the following:
- How to Request Translation
- How to bulk-select
- How to track translation progress
- How to manually export translations back to Sanity
- How to handle updates to previously translated source content
Once you have connected your Sanity account, you will find Sanity content in the Sanity tab in your Smartling project. There are two ways in which you can Request Translation;
1) Select the asset > Actions > Request Translation. This option also allows you to bulk-select multiple assets for translation.
2) Click the information icon of an asset > Request Translation. This option allows you to request translation for only that individual asset.
Both options will open the Request Translation wizard.
The Request Translation two-step wizard will appear for you to enter the Job details. You can choose to create a New Job or add the asset to an Existing Job.
- Insert the Job Name - the title for the translation task in Smartling.
- Ensure the asset selection is correct. Click the X to remove any asset listed.
- Choose to include any related assets in the Docuemnt (one-level depp).
- Insert a description for the linguists, if desired.
- Select the Target Languages.
- Click Save Job and Continue to create the Job in Smartling.
The next step will display the Job Processing. Once the processing is complete, the Authorize Job button will activate by turning blue. Click Authorize Job to set a Job Due Date, choose the workflow and submit the asset(s) for translation.
If you want to translate 50 assets or more in any given content type at once, you can perform a bulk selection to commence a mass translation process. To perform an action on the entire result set:
- Select the top checkbox that is in the table's header row.
- Choose the Select all matching current filter option that appears after you have selected all on the page.
- Choose to Request Translation or Export Translation of all assets listed
Recent Job Processes (bulk-selection)
When using the bulk actions feature to Request Translation, you can choose to create a new job or added the selected assets to an existing job (as seen in the new Request Translation wizard above).
Once you click Next, you will get confirmation that your job request is being processed. You can close the window, it won't disrupt the processing.
The number of bulk Job requests processed will be seen on the top right of the page. You can check the status of the Job Request by clicking the number icon.
This will open the Recent Job Processes dialog where you can view the details and status of each bulk Job Request taken. You can cancel any incomplete Job Requests by clicking the ellipses/3 dots under Actions > Stop Process
Track Translation Progress of each Asset per Language
You can track the translation progress of each asset per language on the Sanity Progress page.
- Go to your Sanity project in Smartling.
- Click the Gear icon > Sanity Progress
If your Sanity Connector is configured to manually check for changes to source content, an Outdated column will be present in the list. Each time source content has been updated in Sanity, a tick will be seen under the Outdated column, beside the asset. Filter for outdated content by selecting the Outdated checkbox.
Export Translations to Sanity
As translations are completed, they are automatically sent to your Sanity instance as per your Sanity Connector configuration (every three hours is the default and recommended frequency).
To perform a manual export of translated content from Smartling to Sanity
- From your Sanity project, click the Sanity tab.
- Select the translated assets to download (Bulk-Select and Export are supported).
- Click Actions and select Export Translation.
Handling Updates to Sanity Content
How your Sanity Connector handles changes made to your source content in Sanity is configured under Automation of Prior Request for Translation within your Sanity project settings
Talk to your Customer Success Manager or Solutions Architect about configuration options regarding how your Sanity Connector retrieves translated content from Smartling.