Prepare Data Extensions for Translation
In order to translate Data Extensions they should meet the following criteria:
- “Description” field contains substring "Smartling translation"
- It has a field with locale codes
- It has at least one field with type “Text”
Only Data Extensions that have all required data can be successfully translated by the SFMC Connector.
How to Create and Configure Data Extensions
- Add "Smartling translation" into “Description” field
- Create field for locale codes:
- It can have any name, later this name should be configured in SFMC Connector Language Configuration
- Data Type = Text
- Length > 5
- Primary Key = checked
- Nullable = unchecked
Important: you must use the same column name across all your Data Extensions
- Add additional fields for the SFMC Connector to insert the translated strings
- On the screenshot above you can see fields with names “message1”...“message3” where you can store original strings and the SFMC Connector will add translated strings.
- Data Extension may contain any field types (including Date and Number) but only value of text fields will be ingested into Smartling. Another example of Data Extension:
- Add data into your Data Extension
- One of rows must contain source locale code that will be configured in the SFMC Connector. On the screenshot below you can see the row with locale_code=en. This code (“en”) will be configured in connector and this row will be ingested as source content.
Important: you must use the same source locale code across all your Data Extensions
AMPscript translation is supported via Data Extensions