This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
The Smartling Adobe Illustrator plugin allows you to submit content and context directly from Adobe Illustrator to Smartling for translation, and retrieve the content once it's complete.
- Download the Smartling Adobe Illustrator plugin from our Downloads page.
- Use ZXP Installer to install the extension to Adobe Illustrator.
Once installed, the Smartling plugin will be available from the Windows > Extensions menu in Adobe Illustrator.
The Smartling Illustrator plugin allows you to translate content as files that are uploaded to the Smartling platform.
Once you have installed the Adobe Illustrator plugin, you can begin submitting content for translation:
- Click Export to a file to create a JSON file for the content in the current Illustrator image to a JSON file in the location of the open image.
- Take a screenshot of your Illustrator image.
- Upload the JSON file to a Resource File type project in Smartling for translation.
- Upload the image file to the Image Context tab in your Resource File project.
If you do not have access to the Smartling platform, you can provide your files to your Smartling administrator for translation.
Preview Design Changes
The Smartling Illustrator plugin allows to create Pseudo translated images directly in Illustrator. Pseudo translation allows for mimicking the effect of translation on the layout of an image without actually doing the translation. The extension automatically creates two new Pseudo translated images - one with word size expanded and another with word size reduced.
Download and Import Translations
To create translated images from a translated file:
- Download the translated JSON files from Smartling.
- Use Import translations from file, and select the JSON file containing the translated content.The plugin will create the newly translated image in Illustrator.
Make sure that the corresponding Illustrator (.ai) file is already open in Illustrator during import. Also, do not change the file names of the Illustrator or JSON files.