Search Within a Project
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers. Filtering options will vary depending on your user role.
After you have requested translations, you may need to locate specific content as it progresses through the translation workflow.
There are two main ways to search and filter for content in your project:
- From within the list of jobs
- From within the list of translations
Find Content from the Jobs View
- From within a project, click on Content > Jobs.
- Click on the job you would like to view.
- If you're in a GDN project, you'll see two tabs: Languages and Workflows
- If you're in a Files project, you'll see three tabs: Languages, Files, and Workflows.
- To view all strings under translation or available for translation into a specific language, select the Languages tab then click on the language. This will bring you to the list of strings.
- To view strings by workflow step, per language, select the Workflows tab then click on the word count under the workflow step.
Find Content from the List View
Go to Projects (select a project) > Content > Translations. There are several ways to filter your content.
1. Filter by Content Type
- Awaiting Authorization: Content that has been captured but not authorized for translation.
- In Progress: Content that has been authorized but not yet published.
- Completed: Content that has been published.
- Excluded: Content that has been excluded from translation.
2. Filter by Status
- Pending assignment: Translations are authorized but still need to be assigned to translators.
- Available for pre-publishing: Translations can be pre-published but will remain in the workflow until all workflow steps are complete.
- Not Translated: No translation is saved for the string.
- Translated: A translation is saved for the string.
- Unresolved issues: Displays all strings that still have open issues or questions.
- Translation Same As Source: A translation has been saved for the string, which exactly matches the source string.
3. Filter by Workflow/Step
Allows you to show only strings belonging to a workflow or steps within a workflow. You can select a whole workflow with a checkbox, or any number of individual steps.
If your project has only one workflow, you see a simplified drop-down filter showing the steps of your workflow.
4. History Search
Search for strings by their history. Select an action, a date range, and a user (optional) to find matching strings. Available actions may include:
- Content Created: The date when a string was added/uploaded.
- Content Assigned: A string was assigned to a resource. This applies to workflow steps where the Assignment feature is enabled.
- Content Authorized: A string was authorized for translation.
- Content Moved: A string was moved from one workflow or workflow step to another.
- Translation Submitted: A string was submitted from the translation step to the next step in a workflow.
- Edit Submitted: A string was submitted from an editing step to the next step in a workflow.
- Review Submitted: A string was submitted from a review step to the next step in a workflow.
- Content Unauthorized: A previously authorized string was unauthorized (shown in Awaiting Authorization view only).
5. Keyword Search
Search both original source string and translations for keywords. Smartling searches are not case sensitive and do not support search operators.
6. Filter by String Properties
Click the down arrow next to the keyword search. You'll then see the following options. Note: Options vary depending on whether it's a Files or GDN project.
- URL: Filter by URL to find content within a particular file or from a particular link on your website. When using the URL filter, Smartling may display search results from other URLs if that content is shared. In a GDN project, Smartling associates the first URL from which content is captured with that string. If the same string appears on other URLs (e.g. navigation) it will only be associated with one single URL. For Files projects, URLs may be the file name or may be the name of the image context file if one has been applied.
- File Name: Search for all strings belonging to a particular file. This filter works similarly to the URL search, but will always show all strings belonging to a particular file, even if image context has caused the strings to have different URLs.
- Key/Variant: If the string is a variant use this filter to look up the translations by variant or key metadata.
- Context: Finds strings that have or do not have visual context. This filter appears for files projects only.
- Job: Find strings that are part of a specific Job, or have no Job assigned.
- Search by Tag: Filter for translations by tags.
- Active/Inactive Strings: Show strings which are active, inactive, or both.
- Search by Domain (For GDN projects only.): If you have multiple domains setup in your project, filter content by domain.
- SEO Content (For GDN projects only.): Allows Account Owners to easily find and handle SEO content (main SEO content types include meta keyword, meta description, title tag), as it may require a different workflow from other types of content.
Deleted or Moved
Depending on your user role, if a translation has been deleted or moved to an editing step, it won't appear in Content > Translations. If you're a translation resource and you think this is the case, contact your Agency Account Owner.
Click the gear wheel to choose to show string context and workflow step name against each string in Content > Translations.
Need to search across all projects in your account? Learn how from our searching across all projects.