Exclude Content from Translation
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
At times, there may be content captured from a webpage or file that you don't want to translate. For these cases, you can exclude individual pieces of content from being translated.
This feature is useful for excluding content like email addresses, proper names, company names, addresses, trademarked terms, etc. from being translated.
The following behaviors apply when you Exclude content:
- Content will not enter the translation workflow, so you do not incur translation costs.
- Excluded content will appear untranslated in your translated file or webpage - it will not be removed.
- Excluded content will remain excluded until you authorize the content (Content > Translations > Excluded). If you don't want to add a string to your permanent exclusion list, delete the string instead via the Actions menu.
- Exclusions apply on the string level. If you upload a new file with a string that has already been excluded, you will need to exclude the new instance of the string, unless your project is configured to share strings or you are using the Global Delivery Network.
Exclude Content From the List View
Content that has already been captured can be excluded in the Smartling Dashboard at any time:
- Go to Projects (select a project) > Content > Translations. You can exclude:
- Strings by filter (in Awaiting Authorization) -or-
- Strings in bulk and by locale (within In Progress or Completed)
- To exclude strings by filter, from the drop down near the top of the page, select Awaiting Authorization. Click Actions > Exclude All.
- The following dialog box will appear. Click Exclude All.
- To exclude strings in bulk and by locale, from the drop down menu near the top of the page, select In Progress or Completed. Click Actions > Exclude All.
- The following dialog box will appear. Click Select All Locales to display all locales to exclude. You can also click the 'x' next to a language to remove it from being excluded. Click Next.
- Click Exclude selected strings for selected locales.
Exclude Content from Microsoft Word and Excel Files
In Microsoft Word and Excel files, you can mark content that you don't want translated by using Styles. Do this by creating a style called 'NOTRANSLATE' and applying it to any text you want excluded.
This functionality is not available in Microsoft Powerpoint.
Create a style with the name 'NOTRANSLATE' and select the style type Paragraph. Other options should be set to match your regular text.
To apply the style, highlight the text you want to exclude and select NOTRANSLATE from the style ribbon.
- Click the down arrow under Format and select New Cell Style.
- Clear the Style Property checkboxes and set the Style Name to 'NOTRANSLATE'.
- If you want to visually mark excluded text in your document, click Format, go to the Fill tab and select a color.
- To apply the style, highlight the text you want to exclude and select NOTRANSLATE from the style ribbon.
Advanced Content Exclusion
You can pre-format your file or source code to instruct Smartling to exclude content for translation as content is captured. Strategies to do this depend on your content type and/or solution: