Translate Glossary Terms
This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
You can use Smartling to translate your glossary terms, in addition to the rest of your content. Translating your glossary is simple, but for best results, some preparation is required.
We recommend translating the glossary in a separate project because your translation vendor may require different invoicing arrangements for glossary translation. If you purchase translation services through Smartling, contact your Customer Success Manager to make arrangements for translating your glossary.
Identify Terms That Need Translation
- Go to Assets > Glossaries to find the glossary you wish to translate. Translation of terms is not available from the project level glossary view. If you’ve been using your glossary for a while, you may not need to translate every term. Translating a glossary term through Smartling will overwrite any existing translation for that language, so don’t select terms that you’ve already translated unless you want to change the translation.
- To find untranslated terms for a language, select from the language drop down menu.
- From the All Terms drop down menu, select Require Translation. This filter won’t appear for any terms that you have marked Do Not Translate.
Authorize Terms for Translation
- Select the terms you want to translate and click Authorize for translation.
- In the Authorize dialog box, select your dedicated glossary translation project, the target languages, and workflow, then click Submit.
Remember that this will cause any existing translations for these terms to be overwritten. If your glossary is not evenly translated across languages, and you want to keep your current translations, work through your glossary one language at a time, filtering for untranslated terms and authorizing them only for the current language.
Each glossary term will be created as a string and added to your chosen workflow. The Definition, Part of Speech, Notes, Variations, Synonyms and Antonyms attributes of the term are captured as translation instructions. Glossary terms are translated like any other strings. To find glossary strings in translation, filter your list view for the URI: /Glossary.
When a glossary string is published, the translation will be written to the Translation field of the original glossary term.