This article is for Account Owners and Project Managers.
Visual context helps Translators make linguistic, layout, and spacing decisions based on where strings appear in your mobile or desktop application.
For non-web content such as mobile or desktop applications, image files (screenshots) can be uploaded and associated with source strings to provide visual context.
To add screenshots to your content:
- Go to Projects > Content > Image Context.
- Click Upload Files. Drag and drop images/screenshots directly onto the page or browse for files to upload.
- Once the files are uploaded, click on a file to expand it.
- Click and drag your pointer to select your text / source string.
- Type the string in the text box and select the corresponding source string from your content list.
Smartling uses OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to automatically match text in images to strings in your project. You can review and improve context after the automatic recognition has taken place. Essentially, images just need to be captured and uploaded.
The Image Context API can be used to automate the upload of context images. Unfortunately, image context is not dynamic, and will not display translated text the same way as HTML context. In other words, if the length of your translated text is longer or shorter than the original text on the site, your translated text won't automatically scale/adjust to the allotted space on the site.
Want to automate context capture for mobile and desktop applications? See our SDK and developer documentation.